The temple of Shri Saptakoteshwar is considered one of the six great sites of temples in goa of Lord Shiva in the Konkan area. Legend goes that Lord Shiva appeared at the place to grant the wishes of seven holy sages who prayed for seven crore years. This incarnation is known as Saptakoteshwar (Sapt means seven and Koteshwar means lord of crores). Saptakoteshwar was favoured deity of Kadamba king. The original temple was situated in the island of Diwar, which was destroyed by the Portuguese, and the idol was shifted to its present site at Narve. In 1668 AD, Chattrapati Shivaji ordered the renovation of this temple at the present site during one of his campaigns to boot out the Portuguese. The Shiva lingam worshipped in Shri Saptakoteshwar Temple is faceted and is known as 'Dharalinga'. The Gokulashtami festival celebrated at the temple draws thousands of devotees from Goa and other parts of India.